An International School
Welcome to KAPPA!
We are a New York City Public School with specialized opportunities for students to be successful. We are a small high school (around 500 students) with a focus on our IB curriculum.
We were ranked one of the 10 most challenging schools in NYC by the Washington Post. We offer the International Baccalaureate Program for all interested and on-track Juniors and Seniors.
We do not screen our applicants or require specialized tests.
International Baccalaureate Program
We offer the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program to all juniors and seniors who choose to take it."You may be familiar with schools which have advanced placement (AP) classes, where students are given the opportunity to take accelerated classes. The program in question, International Baccalaureate (IB), was started in 1968 and is even more rigorous. Offered in 1,311 primary and secondary American schools, IB has a track record of helping shape young minds into accomplished life-long learners and ethical leaders. And for poor, minority students in rough neighborhoods such as Chicago, IB has been a ticket for many motivated students out of dependency and poverty."
-Ken Blackwell, The Huffington Post
Read "Why schools love the International Baccalaureate" The Independent (UK)
Rigor and Authenticity
Our style of teaching is informed by the rigor and authenticity of IB--in all our classes. "The Diploma Program goals provide students with:
- a broad and balanced, yet academically demanding, program of study
- the development of critical-thinking and reflective skills
- the development of research skills
- the development of independent learning skills
- the development of intercultural understanding
- a globally recognized university entrance qualification" - IBO
Our graduates are accepted to some of the most prestigious schools in the country.
“International Baccalaureate opened me up a lot. Classes are more discussion-based, it’s not just the teachers talking to you. It made me talk and interact with other students.”
-Hamdia Ibrahim, KAPPA 2012, Dartmouth 2016
NYC DOE Small School
We are a New York City Public High School. This means that:
- We are open to all young adults in NYC. We do not screen our applicants. All are welcome.
- We are located in the biggest, most important, and most exciting city in the United States, and are easily accessible through pubic transit.
- We are not a charter school. We are a NYC DOE Small School!
- Everyone knows everyone else's name.
- Students get personalized attention from their teachers, both in class and outside of class.
- Our school has a sense of community and support that helps sustain the hard work that we do.
We are conveniently located off E Fordham Road and Webster Ave in the Bronx at 500 East Fordham Road on the 4th Floor.
From the D or B Train:
Get off at the stop for Fordham Road. Find Fordham Road and walk 8 short blocks, or take the BX12 bus, East (toward Valentine Ave). Enter Theodore Roosevelt Educational Campus at the main Fordham Road entrance. KAPPA is on the fourth floor. Campus security will assist you.
From the 4 Train:
Get off at the stop for Fordham Road. Find Fordham Road and walk 12 short blocks, or take the BX12 Select, East (toward Walton Ave). Enter Theodore Roosevelt Educational Campus at the main Fordham Road entrance. KAPPA is on the fourth floor. Campus security will assist you.
From Metro North:
Get off at the stop for Fordham Road. Exit at Fordham Plaza and walk 2 short blocks East (toward 3rd Ave). Enter Theodore Roosevelt Educational Campus at the main Fordham Road entrance. KAPPA is on the fourth floor. Campus security will assist you.